The VA Benefit can pay for rent in an assisted living community
Let us help you qualify for an extra $1,936/month as a wartime Veteran.
VA Aide and Attendance (A&A) Benefit
The ‘Aide and Attendance’ program provides extra payments to qualified veterans who live in an assisted living community like Westwind House. You can use the VA payment to cover safety, rent, meals, and assistance with daily living at Westwind House letting you keep more of your own funds for other purposes.
We are working with a non-profit organization, Patriot Angels, whose sole mission is to help veterans qualify for this benefit.
You served. Let us serve you.
Vietnam Veterans and spouses are now potentially eligible for care assistance.
Who is Eligible?
1. Veteran over 65, who served during war time, with honorable discharge (no flexibility).
2. Surviving spouse, married to the qualified Veteran at the time of death (no flexibility).
3. Needs some care assistance, or a protected living environment (some flexibility).
4. Household income of less than $2,100/month single or $2,500 couple after care costs (some flexibility).
5. Assets less than $123,000, excluding home value and personal property (some flexibility).
6. Must not be receiving a benefit for wounds suffered during service (some flexibility).
Patriot Angel Role:
1. Patriot Angels will do a free ‘initial evaluation’ to see if you qualify for this benefit.
2. They will help you identify and collect all the documentation needed for a formal application.
3. They will review your documentation to confirm eligibility, and organize to support VA approval.
4. Only if the documentation supports your eligibility, Patriot Angels will charge a one-time fee of $795 for a pre-filing consultation and Long Term Care Assessment with VA accredited attorney before submitting your application to the VA, and follow the process until a benefit is awarded.
Westwind House Role:
Westwind House is a licensed assisted living community and meets all the requirements for this program. Residing at Westwind House will help your application clearly meet the need for care assistance during review by the VA. Payments you make to Westwind House can also potentially be used as an “offset” to the monthly income limits of the program under some circumstances.
CALL PATRIOT ANGELS
Erin Walker, Community Relations Manager
In a week, Erin will complete a preliminary screen to see if you qualify, and if so, will connect you with other Patriot Angels staff to continue collecting and evaluating additional documentation required. The VA review process can take 3-4 months after the formal application is completed.
The VA benefit will be back-dated, effective to the date of submission. If your application is submitted on January 1 and approved on April 1, you will receive the benefit back-dated to January 1. Click for more on Patriot Angels.
To get the VA application process started at Westwind House:
Call us at